Thursday, June 24, 2010

Where have the days gone? Since last Sunday we've been getting more fencing up. I'm convinced now this is a never ending project. Possibly I have an obsession with putting up fence?!

Did get most of the horses turned out onto the new pasture. Still need to brushhog badly, but one thing at a time. A tractor (with mowing deck) is on my wish list. Arena fencing is up, but still have gates to put in. With all this heavy rain I cant even use the arena now though so I'm working the horses in other areas of the property. Just as it dries up, we get another day of thunderstorms. Hay isn't getting cut either so we may find ourselves in a bit of a crunch later in the season.

Shy continues to be a real gem. I like her more and more each day. She always had a willing face on, even though some of the things I've asked of her are taking her out of comfort zone a little bit. Her confidence is building by introducing her to new ideas. She's showing a more positive reaction to pressure now and accepting it, or yeilding to it, instead of running away from it.

Summer and I have worked some things out and today she was a perfect lady when we went for a walk through the woods. No crowding me, watching where her feet were and seemed a little bit more in her body than the last few days. Slowing things down for her is helping. She can be a little complicated as I get to know her. I think in a few more sessions I'll start saddling her and begin long- lining her in a way to prepare her for her first ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment