Saturday, June 19, 2010

Summer's first day

Summer and I have some things to get clear. She pretty much disses me in every way. She's super smart though and under a little pressure,
"gets it". The morning started off with me walking into her corral to halter her and put her fly mask on. She didn't even look at me and just wandered past me like I wasn't even there. Hmmmm, I thought. Wow, I'm not even here? Do you not see me? Yooo-hooo, Summer, come and get me! Nothing. No respect. That changed within about 10 minutes.

I sent her around her corral until she was huffing and puffing. An early morning jog. I'd give her the opportunity to stop and face me but nothing. Keep going then. She went, and went and went. At one point she ignored my idea about changing directions and ran right through the rope I was swinging at her. Hmmmm, how interesting!

She started to work up a sweat and I took the pressure off of her and she did stop, but didn't face me or look at me. She got to breathe a little bit then I sent her off again. Another 5 minutes and she was asking to stop. She did, stood at attention at least facing me, but still not looking at me. A few more rounds and she made some changes. Still not walking up to me, but at least paying attention. Sheesh, she didn't have to make it so hard for herself.

She got her fly mask on and I fed her breakfast. All was good with Summer and I.

Later in the day I entered her corral again and she looked at me. She stopped what she was doing and watched me. She turned and faced me as I walked around. I went up to her and petted her face, then left.

Tomorrow I bet she'll have a different attitude. I can't expect to train her to do anything if I don't have a certain level of respect and obedience just entering her corral. Once that's settled, then we can move on to other fun things. She'll come around really quick. The light will go on, it was only burning dimly this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment