Monday, June 28, 2010

Maya's Story

Some of you reading this may have already heard about Maya, the grulla mare for sale. I've posted on the CS horse message boards, or Facebook. I thought she deserved her own blog post. She's special. Aren't they all, though?

I'd heard about her from the Focus message board. She was in Maine, not too far from me. With so few CS horses in New England, I kept her on my radar but only last week felt compelled to call about her. "I do not need another horse, I do not need another horse, I do not need another horse, etc." When I learned she was at a sales barn my heart went out to her. I consider sales barns like used car lots. Some are better than others. Some with good reputations, some not so good.

I put it out there that I'd be willing to go get her if someone in the CS community wanted to buy her. I sent a few emails out hoping someone would be interested. A few hours later I received a reply from a friend of The Center for America's First Horse. They would be willing to purchase her for me so she ends up in the right hands. The donor wishes to remain anonymous.

The money was sent and in two days Eliza and I left to pick her up in southern Maine. When we arrived I knew this was all meant to be. Maya was a beautiful specimen of a Spanish Mustang. She looked so different from the other 25+ horses at this sales barn. It was like she was coming home. I almost took another little horse home that broke my heart and had to remind myself to stick to my mission, which is the CS horses. He was Maya's best friend in the herd. The only horse that whinnied at her when she left. ("stick to my mission, stick to my mission.")

So Maya loaded up and off we went. When we arrived home all the other curious faces came to fence to greet her. No squeals, no kicking, just a friendly sniff, as if she was saying hello to old friends. I know they know they are related some how.

There hasn't been a settling in period at all. She's right at home. Today I got on her for the first time. She's been very willing to do anything I've ask of her. She's sweet, loves attention and has good manners. Someone has put a lot of time into her. She was used as a lesson horse the last number of years so I do think she's sort of on auto pilot when ridden, and I can tell that inexperienced riders have been on her mostly. She seems very honest and has potential.

Now the puzzle...Maya is branded, but has no registration papers. Her breeders are from South Dakota (Caballos des Destinos, www.sorraiamustangs.com ) and I spoke with them tonight. They are going to do some research so I can find out who here dam and sire are and I'll get her registered. She comes from Sorraia bloodlines. Thank goodness she had the brand.

For now, Maya is a part of our family. What her future will hold, I'm not sure. It's a struggle to keep them all, but some of them I know belong as permanent residents. She may be one of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment