Friday, June 18, 2010

Mare # 2 has arrived

Today another mare came in for a month of training. She's a 4 year old chestnut Morgan, about 14 hands. A cute little thing named Summer. I'd had a chance to work with her and her owner last fall. Summer is an older style Morgan, no saddlebred or Arab blood in her, but not as chunky as the Lippitt's. Last fall she was learning some basic ground skills, getting her more respectful and engaged in her learning.

Interesting time getting her on the trailer today to come to "camp". She definately challenged my savvy. In the end, we all learned a thing or two. I was not expecting her to be quite so resistant, but as I kept saying to her owner, this isn't about The Trailer, it's about a lack of respect, and lack of yielding to pressure. Now I know where we'll be starting from when I spend time with her tomorrow. She's not been away from home ever and she settled right in. We'll make good progress over the next month.

Shy has been really funny to get to know. She secretely likes to eat her hay with Ringo, a cute gelding that is in the neighboring pasture. She pushes her hay under the fence and he quietly comes over and munches on it next to her. He could have eaten with his best buddie Thunder, but he chose to eat next to her. If he moves too quickly, she squeaks at him and swishes her tail, and he ignores it! Gosh, this sounds so familiar!!!

I've been taking her out and getting her feet moving around me. She's super sensitive to pressure (ya' think?!),her first response is flight, not fight (unlike other unnamed mare that arrived today.) Shy really does like to be petted though, and finding that spot under her mane on her crest was the best thing that happened a few days ago. I've still not turned her out into the bigger field yet but I think fairly soon I'll feel okay about that. She walks up to me every time to be haltered. Coyote and her have not really bonded yet to say the least. He's protecting his herd and feels very threatened by her, but in reality she's just lacking confidence and protecting her space. I really don't think she's being mean, just taking care of herself. As her confidence grows within herself, she'll make changes with the vibes she gives to other horses.

Fascinating creatures they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment