Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Shy continues to be a good girl. She walks up to me in her corral and if given a few minutes to sniff me all over, will stand for haltering just fine. She loves to be scratched under her voluptious mane. She's a mare that needs time to accept things, but seems willing enough to give it a try. She seems to question my intentions so I enter her space with none. Just go in and hang out in her corral, pick up manure, rake her hay into a pile, just meander around and smile at her a lot.

The first day I noticed all the licking and chewing and sighing she did. Even yesterday when I was just standing next to her while she was haltered, she released a lot of stress. When she's not haltered is when she's more leary and tight. Having her halter on is like holding her hand and she feels more relaxed.

No doubt she is one of the "prettiest" of mares I've had the honor to work with. A very fine and dainty presence. Her movement is amazing, so light on her feet and free moving.

Today we'll go for a walk around the property and show her the sights. Just hanging out with her with no agenda is on the agenda for the next few days. As we go for walks she learn the basics of yielding to pressure and respecting my space. Shy is the kind of horse that could be overwhelmed easily by "training". I think all I have to do is show her how and she'll get it.

Noticed that she's not desensitized to things around her hind end. Thank goodness for the carrot stick, a handy tool to reach those places from a 4 foot distance. Will keep me out the kick zone while she gets used to handling back there. She's lightening fast with those hind feet as I've witnessed when the geldings come to her fence out of curiosity. Just protecting her sacred space.

I've had horses change their attitudes within the herd once they gain confidence of themselves. For right now though she'll stay by herself and bat her eyelashes at the boys from over the fence. Coyote has been charging the fence at her-- feeling threatened by her presence. He's top dog and everyone knows it. Just making it clear to her he'll keep that position. However, yesterday I did see them actually sniffing noses without signs of aggression from either one. That was progress on both their parts. They'll come to an understanding. Coyote is like the watch dog of the property. Right...his name is Coyote!

That will bring me to another blog entry in a few days...the importance of choosing the right name.

1 comment: