Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Making Progress

We got a lot done today. Picked up a trailer load of hay that's been owed to me for 9 months. That's good to get that off my plate. Eliza rode Maya today and what a super little horse she is. Eliza felt really confident on her and Maya just trucked around the arena so willing. We noticed today that Maya seems sort of unemotional. I think it's because she's been a school horse and hasn't been able to bond with anyone.

Summer has made some really good changes. She was relaxed and quiet today, we saddled her and I sat on her. Her owner came to watch our session and she ended up sitting on her, too. That was nice to see. Will do more tomorrow with her.

Then there's Pete. Pete is a CS gelding I have for a few days of evaluation as as sales project. He's not had a job for a few years. He's well-fed, sassy, and up until mid-morning, pretty disrespectful of my space. I'd had Pete for training a few years ago so I know what he knows. And he knows what I know! After some "discussion" with him about what I know and what he forgot, he dropped his head, licked and chewed, and finally gave up dominating me. Then Eliza the guinea pig got on him while I stayed attached to the line and she walked and trotted him around with no problems at all. Tomorrow I'll ride him in earnest.

Augustine, a three year old, who is the sweetest thing, had his first day of riding. Eliza has spent her time preparing him (it didn't take much) for today. She walked and trotted on him. Then we put a bridle on him and turned him out into the arena to get used to that. It took him about 15 minutes to stop chewing on it. I don't plan to use a bit for riding him this year, but he is sales project and it's only fair he gets a good introduction to the bit now while I have him.

And the big news...the excavator is parked in the driveway to begin clean up of the house site!!! For those who haven't been to The Center, the house that was on the property was donated to the fire station about 5 years ago for a training. But the mess was never cleaned up. By the weekend, I think it'll be done and we'll have a site for the future indoor arena. The views are incredible, it's the highest point on the property and not inclined to flooding due to our heavy rain. A perfect place for the indoor!!!

And I can't forget to mention Shy who continues to be a pleasure to work with each day. I just adore her!

No comments:

Post a Comment