Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Welcome to Boot Camp, Logan!

There have a been a few horses who have come to The Center for some type of reform/training. There was Summer, Shy, Galan, and now the most recent, Logan. Then of course there are the ones that have come to me unexpectedly that are part of my herd now that needed some re-programming.

Today a new gelding arrived. Logan has already challenged me. I have worked with him and his owner on and off over the summer. You could say we have a "repoire" of some type! Logan doesn't like to be told what to do. He uses the strength of his well developed neck to brace and pull away. (among some other tricks.) He's a big boy. Humans are no match and he knows it. And it doesn't get a whole lot better when he's ridden (no surprise there!)

So...I can't wait for tomorrow when I get to pull some tools of my trade out of my box for horses this "special"! The trick is staying one step ahead of this fellow and not running out of tools. The difference with him in comparison to say, Summer, is that Logan weighs about 1,200 lbs and stands about 15.2. Not that big in the horse world, but compared to my little Colonial Spanish Horses he's BIG.

Tomorrow I'll enter Logans world with confidence that I have the tools I'll need to make him look at humans differently. Not as weak specimans that he can bully around, but trusting partners to work with. It'll be a good learning experience all around. He's going to be a tough cookie, he's build up some good resistance from his past experiences. Getting that opposition reflex out of his system will make him the type of horse his owner is looking for. Stay tuned for the adventures of---Logan goes to boot camp!

No comments:

Post a Comment