Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Logan and I got connected today. I learned alot about him. Realizing that he is running on adrenaline and tension most of the time I focused on relaxation with him. He can't learn, doesn't even want to learn when he's tight. His neck gets hard like a rock, his body stiffens and all he's thinking is LEAVING NOW.

First, I took care of the leaving part by using my 45' lariat rope as a halter on him. Direct pressure is applied to his poll and nose, not a tool to use on many horses, but makes a significant difference if used properly. He responded just as I had hoped. We then could move on to softening his head and body once I had more respect.

Logan found his happy place when he learned to give to pressure and really drop his head, stretch his neck down and relax. His eyes softened, he sighed, licked and chewed. After a while he went to this place on his own. We walked back to the barn down the driveway with his mind at rest.

Tomorrow's session we'll try to start where we left off. I love seeing progress and really being able to pinpoint what is at his core.

No comments:

Post a Comment