Friday, October 22, 2010

A tiny pebble

Less is more. That's a hard concept in this day and age but one that I try to live by...when I remember.

Working with horses keeps this concept at the forefront of my brain though. If I applied the theory, principles and concepts of natural horsemanship in ALL of my daily affairs and relationships, I'd be a better person. Not that I'm a bad person now, but there is always room for self-improvement!

Today Logan had a temper tantrum about being tied in the barn. Typical green horse with no patience issue so I ignored him. As I watched him paw and dance around I remember watching a short video with Bill Dorrance, granddaddy of natural horsemanship. He was before natural horsemanship...a master and founding father.

So in this video Bill, (at 90 years old) sat on a bucket and watched a horse dance around as it was tied to a trailer. Bill picked up some pebbles from the ground and gently tossed one towards the horses hind legs each time it got antsy. Within a very short time the horse stopped pawing and dancing around. Bill never said a word, never even touched the horse.

I am fortunate that I recently shoveled a literal ton of Stay-Mat onto my little barn floor. Many pebbles to choose from. I chose about a dozen and sat comfortbly on the hay pile with barn kitty, Paco. As Logan did his thing, I did Bill's thing. Less than 5 minutes and Logan was quiet and licking and chewing repeatedly.

Less is more in action!

No comments:

Post a Comment