Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Spring Frolic

The horses have been enjoying spring grass at the new place and with that comes the old saying, "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence." I decided to skip the other side of the fence and just let the horses roam the upper part of the property. I put up temporary fencing along 'most' of the perimeter of this portion. The woods are thick, nowhere a horse would want to go. Knowing they're hungry for grass, I figured they stay busy grazing.

This morning all was well when I left after feeding. 30 minutes later I get a phone call saying my horses were out. EEEEKK. "Be right there". I pull in and three of them (the teachers pets!) are standing there looking at me, the other 5 no where to be seen. The three that stayed home were upset and calling out to their friends that MOM IS HERE YOU BETTER COME BACK! I heard not a whinny from any direction so figured they were really not on the property at all. Bummer.

Contemplating the most effective way to get 5 horses back home and not having to walk 10miles to do it, I decided to hop on Ringo and go search the neighborhood. It's a rural community, farmland, hayfields and stone walls. They couldn't be too far? Remembering that 1 mile down the road was the graduation ceremony for Johnson State College, I cringed at the thought of them crashing that party! Please, oh please, I hope they went north.

I quickly threw a saddle on Ringo, tied up the leadrope onto his halter, grabbed my helmet and a spare halter. We took off trotting down the long driveway for the round- up. No sooner did the neighbor across the road show up to tell me they were in the hay field next to their house. Good. So off Ringo and I go at a canter (he's not been ridden faster than a walk for over a year probably!) and he was so happy to have this important job.

Sure enough, over the hill, there were 5 guilty faces. Ringo called out to them and they all looked over, mouths filled with dandelions. A few ladies asked if I needed help getting them, or something to that effect. I wasn't sure what they could do that I couldn't since I only had one halter, so I politely said I'd be okay. I'm sure they were wondering how I was going to pull this one off! I wasn't exactly sure how it was going to go, much like the onlookers, but I know my boys well enough that they'd cooperate as long as I didn't get upset.

Once within range, I gave a whistle and they walked over to me and Ringo. I haltered Coyote, the ring leader and gave them all a little pet on the head and said a few choice words like, "oh, what bad boys you are." I hopped back on Ringo and ponied Coyote, with the other 4 following behind in a single file line, like ducklings following their momma.

Off we went through the field, across the neighbors yard, up the road to our driveway. Cars waited, then passed, and gave a friendly wave. The horses never meandering from their line. It was like I'd practiced this before. They walked quietly all the way back to their pasture. I dismounted, opened their pasture gate and in they walked, one by one. It was like clockwork.

When I took Ringo's saddle off he was beaming that he rescued his friends. He got extra praises for being the teacher's pet. The others stood nonchalantly at the gate, like they did nothing wrong at all.

I guess I did underestimate their drive for exploration and tomorrows chore is to finish putting up perimeter fencing along the woods!

1 comment: