Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Bumps in the Road

If any of you reading this think that I have wonderful day after wonderful day...read this! It's really not all bad, it could be worse (it has been) and there are many many people who are much worse off than I am.

Yesterday, on my way to teach a lesson out of town my truck breaks down and has to be towed back to my favorite garage in Morrisville- Howard at Bourne's-great mechanic. Find out today that it's some part in the transmission and the repair costs are half of what I made for a salary while in Switzerland. Just what I wanted to spend that money on. NOT. Just when I thought I was going to get ahead this month on bills. But the good news is that the money from Switzerland was unexpectedly tied up by the bank and it didn't arrive last week...thank goodness because it would have already been spent by now. Then how would I have afforded to have my truck fixed? So it all works out like it does for a reason. I'm grateful the money was held up now.

Then..to add a real twist to this predicament---I'm scheduled to take three horses to the Northeast Equine Expo on May 28th. We are the draw for the western aspect of this event with Oscar aka Hidalgo and two Spanish Mustangs in tow. It's a big deal event. My horse trailer has not been safe enough to pull horses in since the electric brakes were fried in Ohio last year on my way back home from New Mexico. I've been borrowing a trailer for out of town trips.

So I've been conjuring up ideas on how to get a trailer to take the horses to NY for the event. Ah ha, I'll rent one from a friend!But wait... the money that was supposed to go to her for the trailer now has to be spent on repairing the truck! I won't give up yet! I called the event organizer and told her my tales of woe and she's going to call some of the companys sponsoring the event and talk to them about helping me out. She did mention this could be a blessing in disguise, which I already thought of.

The truck won't be fixed till late this week. Thank goodness Joanne has a car for me to borrow. She's my bestie! Other good news is the progress on the outdoor arena. Neighborhood farmer came by with his disc harrow and plowed me up a patch of dirt to ride on. Better than that-he has a drag and a roller to pack it. Thinks in three hours he'll have it good to go for me. Not the fancy $10K sand footing arena many horse people dream of, but a good base of loose dirt with decent drainage. Best yet.. the views.

And...there's more. Jo and I picked up 100 donated fence posts for the fencing for the arena. Be careful what you ask for though. I asked for posts and boy did I get them! they are HUGE so now have to rent an auger to put them in! But glad I have them, dont get me wrong.

So for all of you out there that can put some positive energy into this horse trailer thing, I'd appreciate it. Here is what I'm proposing to sponsors: Option A: Trailer Company, donation of use of a trailer for one year. Option B: Sponsor to donate $8000 to purchase a used trailer I've had my eye on. Option C: $500 to rent a trailer from a gal I know nearby.
The Sponsor will have advertising priveledges, rights to use photo's of our ambassador horses and other perks to help advertise their business.

I am a firm believer that being grateful for ALL the things in our life, good or bad, leads us to a better attitude and enables us to get through these bumps in the road. All I can do is laugh about it sometimes!

No comments:

Post a Comment