Sunday, May 9, 2010

The importance of Progression

When I'm on the plane, or back home, I want to spend some time writing about what I've learned about people and horses while on this adventure. I've said before that I get as much out of teaching as the student! Sometimes it feels unfair I get paid to learn important things about myself and my work.

The theme for the last two weeks has been PROGRESSION. That is what has led to the successes we've had with Jack, Sam, and the 5 horses here. It's always been one of the most important factors of bringing along horses and riders. But when you're given time restrictions and you want to see progress, there is a fine balance and the line can get crossed easily. I hope, and think, that I've done well balancing progress and not rushing things. The proof is the pudding, as they say.

Jack and StarB had a great ride today. I pretty much just let them do their own thing while I helped Jurg with Trooper, Sam with Mack and Pam with Reb. What I saw was Jack using his new tools and StarB accepting them. They cantered around the grass field, without Pam and I holding our breaths! Jack is confident. Jack knows he has much to learn, but in the meantime, he's all about riding like a 14 year old boy wants to ride! Jack, dressed in Wranglers and cowboy boots (gasp the Swiss horsepeople!) is from part American stock remember...Kansas at that!

I think that Trooper had a rough week with his diet at the boarding barn, now getting back to acting more normal. Jurg rode him today without any big issues, the smaller ones easily worked out with his new tools.

Once I'm back home working with my own horses I know that my experiences here will carry over. It's been good to get a head start here. I'd not had much time to do anything at home to get myself in the training/teaching frame of mind. I'm all warmed up now! And lots happening as soon as I get home.

One more full day here to wrap things up. Do have the Freiberger horse and rider coming for a lesson/consultation tomorrow afternoon. That's another blog post by itself!


No comments:

Post a Comment