Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My trip to SD

South Dakota is a place where you can get lost. Buffalo Gap, SD is a dirt road with a little general store and post office, a few houses, and the nearest neighbor is at least 5,000 acres away. A Spanish Mustang is the only horse that could take you from point A to point B.

After Delta Airlines lost my Parelli equipment that I brought for my demo and training I gave up even thinking that they would try to deliver it to Windcross Conservancy where I was. Worked out they had plenty of carrot sticks and rope halters for me to use at Windcross.

I met a herd of Sorraia mares and babies that are related to Maya. Beautiful grulla's and roans. They run on a few hundred acres and we had to drive out to find them. A very friendly herd that enjoyed being scratched.

I judged an obstacle for the ACTHA trail ride that went on during the open house. Pam and I were dropped off in the middle of a zillion acres with an ice chest and walkie talkie. We judged about 20 riders at a downhill section of the ride. Possibly The Center will host a ACTHA ride next year as a fundraiser. We were the only obstacle that had shade. The organizers must have had pity on us fair skinned, blonde judges!

It was great to meet some folks that I've known only on the message boards in the Colonial Spanish horse community. Putting names to faces is a good thing. Was great to spend time with my Switzerland host Pam who flew out to SD to be at the open house. We had some good laughs along the way!

Travel back to VT was no fun. Between being air sick, lost luggage, missing a connection in NY, hotel that night, no sleep, bad food, etc. I was pretty happy to come home to my people. Felt good to get back into the swing of things today.

Many thanks to Steph O. and Katie for feeding on Thursday, Mary Anne and Elsie for being there for the Johnson students volunteer day at The Center (details coming up in another blog), and for taking care of the ponies so well all the other days. The place looks awesome! Thanks PJ for getting Eliza to school on short notice. And thanks to James for letting me go run all over the countryside chasing horses. (he doesn't read my blog but deserves a public thanks!)

Glad to be home!

No comments:

Post a Comment