Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Destiny's first day

I've certainly had my share of fiesty yearlings, 2 and 3 year olds, and even 5 and 6 year olds that had minimal handling before they stepped off the trailer in VT. I like to think that I've seen pretty much everything a horse can offer in regards to resistance and drama. I'll keep my eyes open though. There's always more to learn and experience.

Our new Sulphur yearling, Destiny, had her first day of getting to know me. She lost weight on the trailer ride, but is eating and drinking just fine and already is looking better. She got her dread locks brushed out of her forelock, mane combed and her body brushed. I had a little work to do with her before all of this though.

I kept her in a stall overnight. This morning she whinnied when I opened the barn doors. Head over the gate, ready to eat. I went in with her to say HI before I fed her and then she tried to push me into the wall with her shoulder. Then she tried to push her way out of the gate. Okay I thought, can't have this and "whispering" is not the strategy. She needs some good leadership.

I tossed a rope around her neck, and brought her near me, haltering her with a yearling sized rope halter and long line attached. She tried to pull me off my feet and I flicked her hiney with the rope and she turned around at looked at me. Good answer.

I took her out in the corral, about 40'x40'. Her strategy was pulling hard enough that I'd let go. With the tail of the rope in hand, she got popped again on the hip and faced me. After two or three additional attempts at pulling me off my feet, she figured it out and softened immediately. Licking and chewing taking place. Now I had something to work with. Her next trick was trying to dominate me with her head. That didn't work out for her either. Next trick...backing up. Tail end of the rope right behind her got her moving forward. With no other tricks up her sleeve she stood there looking at me with those big brown eyes and precious face.

She resisted me petting her forehead so I hugged her head gently, and didn't let go till she put her head down. Then I stepped back and walked away from her. Next time I petted her head she stood and enjoyed it for many minutes.

Now that she knew how to yield to me and the rope, we could go for a walk around the yard. She followed me like a puppy for the most part. I let her graze, walked her to the next patch of good grass, graze, walk, graze, walk, graze, walk. Incentive for leading!

She really loved the attention. She met all the other horses over the fence and even gave Oscar a friendly kick in the chest! He knows where he stands with her now! He's not very assertive.

Destiny got to stay out in her corral tonight. She likes her new home!

1 comment:

  1. Love it! I wish I could have purchased that lovely filly when I saw her last year, but alas, I need land first! Boarding in the city is expensive!

    I am happy to read that she realized that she couldn't get the best of you. I look forward to reading about more of your adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete