Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Like a good neighbor...

Dumped out water troughs yesterday so they could get a scrub. Then learned the generator which pumps the water out of the well wouldn't start. Humph. "Now what?" I said to myself. Ponies without water for a day...not good. Nobody around to help me load the generator into the back of Kara's SUV. (More on that later.) No water source, empty troughs. Not good. Humph. I pondered. Feeling helpless. Alone. It's only 9 a.m. Humph.

Finally conceded I would need to ask for help. argh. Not my favorite thing to do. Knowing the nice retired neighbors across the road as good folks I wandered over to see if Al could troubleshoot perhaps. He drove his tractor over and helped me load it up to take to the repair shop. Then he filled \pails of water and carried them back in the bucket loader to the horses. Enought to get them through the day. Fortunately, it was wet and rainy so they weren't too thirsty.

Picked up the generator this morning and it's fixed. The gas had a lot of water in it, that's why it wouldn't start. Back in action! Saved by the neighbors. Good people!

So about why I have Kara's SUV. Kara is my future assistant barn manager when there is money to hire her in earnest. Until then, she's volunteered for some really important tasks! This time it's driving my truck to Wisconsin to pick up Destiny, a 100% Sulphur filly bred by Duane White. Uh, I mean bred by Duanes stallion, Dragon! Sorry, Duane!!! AND not only is Kara picking up Destiny, she's also picking up Pam's trailer so I'll have horsey wheels again!! Kara was going to Wisconsin anyhow for her sisters wedding so it worked out great.

Getting the trailer was major choreography. And if not for Jane and Wes from Minnesota, Pam from Switzerland for allowing me to use the trailer for as long as I need, Lucy at Windcross for even having Pam's trailer in South Dakota,Kara and hubby Jordan for picking it up with Destiny, I'd still be sitting in Vermont trailerless and Destiny-less. Jane and Wes drove it from SD to Minnesota. Jane drove all day to take it to Duanes, Kara is driving up on Sunday to pick it up with the filly then heading back home. THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

Looks like my Charlotte clinic is all full for Friday! yay. And plans to come back and teach more regularly so that's all good news. Too bad it's already mid Sept. but we can keep going till the snow falls then hopefully I'll be indoors by then. Also have connected with more Johnson State College students interested in horse activities at The Center. Young, fresh, energetic young woman that love horses. How cool is that?

Lastly, a beautiful photo of Gavilan and Augustine has been donated by professional photographer Lauren Stagnitti. Coco's Frame Shop in Stowe is matting and framing this piece of art as a contribution! The retail value is $350. We are selling 100 raffle tickets at $10 each (6 for $50). With a few more events coming up this year we hope to have all 100 tickets sold by October 16th. Contact me via email if you would like to purchase a ticket. Vtblackpony@aol.com I'll try to post a picture of the photo somewhere for all to see. It's AMAZING. Lauren has captured the horses remarkably!

No comments:

Post a Comment