Thursday, March 3, 2011

It was a rare day. Not a cloud in the sky, no wind, but dang...it was cold! I don't think we got above the single digits. I asked Eliza for permission to take her nice digital Nikon with me to the barn. When I was her age (14)I don't remember having a professional quality camera! Smart kid saved her money for two years to buy this camera. Most of the pictures on our website were taken by Eliza since she was the age of 10.

Anyhow, I was able to capture some nice portraits of Ringo and Thunder, a few hilarious shots of Oscar and Adelantado. I'll have them posted on facebook as soon as daughter #1 gets home from Europe on Sunday, if not before. So who went to Europe when they were 16?! Jeez, kids these days!!!

Back to the horses...not only did I capture some Nikon moments but a little bit of much needed bonding time with "the boys". That's what I call them as a group-6 geldings that have pretty much been pasture mates for a number of years. The boys get along great, hierarchy is not an issue, they all know their place and don't jockey for position. A pretty mellow and easy going group. It's more like a pack of dogs than a herd of horses. Till they startle at something in the woods and take off running. Their instincts kick in and their power is amazing. Today that didn't happen-they were lazy dogs.

As I was looking through the lens for some interesting shots I invited the boys to come out into the sunshine with me, where the snow was cleaner and background more interesting. They obliged and walked slowly to where I stood. All six of them, standing there wondering where dinner was and why I needed pictures NOW. But they humored me and obediently followed me as their leader. I knelt down on both knees into the snow, hoping to catch a different angle of them. I was looking at the screen, figuring out the camera when I noticed Adelantado laying down for a roll right in front of me. Still fumbling with the camera I missed those shots. As soon as he got up, Morado walked in front of me and laid down and rolled too. Moments later, Thunder did the same. And right after that, Ringo, who had been standing behind me (probably making a peace sign over my head or something!) laid down and rolled too. It was like Simon says.

So often in the rush of the day with so many things to do, I don't take the time to do something as simple as sit in the snow with my boys. Yes, my exposed fingers were numb from the cold, the horses in the upper pasture could be heard whinnying to me for their dinner, but it was a nice break to just spend a little time enjoying the spirit of the horses.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a nice moment you had with the horses. Glad you had time to do it.

    ReplyDelete