Saturday, December 4, 2010

work smarter, not harder

I'm always looking for ways to work more efficiently, save money and spend more quality time with the horses.

Round bales are my current answer! Was fortunate to find a supplier of good quality rounds for a good price-about 50 miles away but worth it. Got a sample bale for the 4 boys and Maya living together to see if they liked it before I purchased a months worth. They looked at me this morning like, "I'm stuffed!"

If it works out like I plan where all three groups of horses can be served a free choice round bale, then I may cut my hay bill in half. That's significant. It's a win win situation since they'll be able to eat all day during the cold weather we're coming into now. May have some plump ponies by the end of the winter but that's okay since we get 5 months of cold, wet, windy weather. I'll not have to worry about them as much. There is always something I'm worried about with them though!

Destiny will most likely use the hay for a nest. If Shy allows her too. Shy rules that roost although I was spying on them the other day and noticed them standing very close to each other napping. Once Shy saw me, she glared at Destiny who took orders and moved over about 15 feet!

A friend in VA has had good luck with a large bale hay net for her Spanish Mustangs. Wasted hay is not an issue any longer for her since she's used the nets. They are pricey but in the long run would save even more money. Maybe Santa will bring one for the ponies?!

Watching Eliza (all 70 lbs of her) and I pushing a 700 lb round bale out of the back of the truck must have given the horses a giggle. It almost got away and rolled down the hill. She went chasing after it, with me hoping it wouldn't crush her flat. hehehehe like in the cartoons!!!!!!!!! I had to laugh out loud. oh, right, that's lol.

Always an adventure at The Center. The next one is probably unloading 10 bales off a flatbead. A tractor is on our wish list, too!

1 comment:

  1. That all sounds good, Steph, but do be careful around those round bales. I've know of at least two people that have lost their lives to them. And these were adults, used to farm chores.

    ReplyDelete