Thursday, December 8, 2011

The struggle with change and why it's important

Thanks to a new horse I have in for training, I felt inspired to make time to get back into the blog mode.

Most of us are in the know that horses can be metaphors in our life, can be a catalyst for change, and bring way more to our lives than meet the eye. This 9 year old Curly mare, Lightening, who I now call Enlightening, has been a great example of the change that can come when boundaries are set.

Enlightening's owner sent her to me for a week initially, after the mare bucked off her young grandchild for no apparent reason that made sense to the owner. I believe the horse had no intention to hurt anyone, but through her lack of respect she had no reason to carry this child any longer and acted on that impulse. Not a good situation for anyone.

This mare was pushy, opinionated, disrespectful and due to not being raised with other horses, she had no sense of what moving to pressure meant. My other horses gestured at her and she didn't respond. I "gestured" at her by swinging the tail end of my rope and the response I got was to barge into me. So that was the first problem we had to fix, then I figured the rest would come pretty naturally to her. And it has.

In 8 days, Enlightening has had a...well...enlightenment! She had been labeled an extroverted personality, never relaxed, her feet always moving, a real busy body. With her new boundaries set and an understanding of leadership from humans and her new herdmates, she is now a relaxed horse and has crossed the line to more introverted, calm horse who I believe is her innate horsenality. I've seen her hard eye change into a soft one, she licks and chews at each opportunity of new ideas, she sighs and carries herself with more softness and flexibility in her body.

To allow Enlightening to make these changes took a matter of only a few hours. But those hours weren't pretty. She was resistant to make those changes initially and I had to be as firm as another horse may be. Clear communication, and passive persistence on my part was the key.

Her changes have been made into her core. She has a feeling of safety being with the other horses and feels safer with people now. I believe she never had a leader in her life and was always running on adrenaline because of it. I can see how she has finally "let down". I can see it emotionally in her but also physically. She spent almost two days sleeping. I was on the verge of calling the vet she was so sleepy. Laying down on and off all day. As her owner and I stood with her talking she layed down flat, closed her eyes and fell asleep.

Enlightening is here for another week or so and my hope is to blog each day about her progress. Perhaps it can raise some awareness of the fact that there are no bad horses, just ones that need boundaries set. The result is respect and trust.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my this sounds so much like Wiley! I lookk forward to more Enlightenment! I actually started to cry I feel so helpless and hopless about him.... Thank you so much for your knowledge and love of horses especially these horses....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. So happy for her and for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The change in her is amazing. You're a fantastic trainer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written Stephanie! So interesting about the sleeping! It's great work that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She sounds 'enlightening' for sure. Really insightful that you understand she was nervous all the time without a leader. Reminds me of a certain Mustang mare I know. ;)

    ReplyDelete