Thursday, December 15, 2011

A new beginning

Lightening's owner came today to spend time with her "new" horse. She looks the same but she asked, "What happened to my horse?!" Lightening greeted her with a sniff, perky ears and a soft eye. It just warms my heart to see the two of them beginning a partnership now. I hadn't seen what the previous relationship looked like, but could pretty well guess it was Lightening running the show.

Today they had dialogue. There was asking, telling, questions and answers. There was purpose, feel, patience, understanding. But there was also a lot of love. I have always liked the Parelli-ism, "Love, language and leadership in three equal doses". So often do I see the imbalance, with LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE being the only component of the relationship. Usually with women who are new to owning horses! Too much leadership and the horse becomes resentful and feels like a puppet. Not enough language or communication and things can go awry pretty well. So balance is the key as I understand it.

The other thing that struck me today was that so often we bring our own baggage into the relationship. Especially if there's been some disharmony with the horse somewhere along the line. I experienced it myself this spring with Morado. Just had a hard time trusting and it snowballed into a confidence issue for both of us. Glad that is behind me now...and I've learned how to let go of any negative thinking when I enter into Morado's world.

Attitude is the most important factor to me when working with horses and their people. Making a conscious decision to stay positive and knock old thinking out of the way is hard, but doable. It just takes practice and an environment where that is the norm. Both Lightening and her owner are on the right track to a better way with each other. It's satisfying to be part of it.

On the Baca horse rescue note...Things are taking shape. We still have a good amount of money to raise but each day donations are bringing us closer. I am contacting transport companies searching for the right match for this precious load. It's a special load of horses that is going to take a knowledgeable driver, and one that will closely monitor the horses health along the way. I've had enough experience with hiring transport now that I know what I'm looking for.

We've had an enormous amount of generosity shown towards this rescue effort and am so grateful for everyone who has helped in some way. Our goal is to keep the momentum flowing and get the horses here as safely and quickly as possible. Will keep updating news as it happens!
Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment