Wednesday, December 14, 2011

It's good to have friends

This afternoon I caught Lightening and Turtle having a friendly moment together. They both are on the bottom of the pecking order and I have watched them jockey for the second- to -lowest- rung -on -the -ladder position for a few days now. As Lightenings confidence around other horses is developing, she has given him "the look" and he "looks" back at her but neither really moves. A lot of gesturing going on there. He's not a very assertive guy in the herd. It makes people feel bad for him.

But today, I spied on them standing side by side, head to tail. Alone in the arena they stood next to each other, almost looking as if they were going to groom each other. It was an awkward moment, like two teenagers who were going to kiss for the first time! Neither one really knew if they should or not.

Then they saw me walk in and immediately, as if they got caught doing something wrong, moved away from each other. I see Turtle allowing her to share hay with him now and then. But she has to ask permission. It's so subtle. How I wish I could be that subtle and respected as a mother of teenagers! I can learn from Turtle and Lightening. I think they really are friends and probably during the night hang out and I don't even know it.

On another note...some of you may be following the rescue situation at the Baca Chica Farm in NM. Today we were blessed with friends of the horses who sent in donations to help with shipping. It's been amazing the support and generosity that has been shown to assist us in bringing these horses to Vermont. I know we will reach our goal, and exceed it with so many friends and supporters. Many thanks to everyone who has donated or shared the story with others. It makes a difference for the horses. We are grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment