Saturday, August 7, 2010

I want to share a story about something that happened today. I just wrote a page worth and accidentally deleted it...so this is the short version.

A family from Massachusetts called me at the barn this morning, asking if they could come see the horses. They wondered if it was imposing too much! Oh my, nothing more I like to do than share my horses.

They arrived shortly after the phone call and I was still walking Shy around. Out of the van comes three girls who look teen aged, and the mom and the dad. Before I could introduce myself, or Shy, the mother tells the girls to go slow and be gentle. Then she tells me her children are special needs. My response, as I was a bit suprised right off, was that Shy has special needs too. We'll all get along fine.

Shy Shy still has some shy left in her. She's so much more friendly and outgoing but 6 hands reaching to pet her soft nose may have worried her. She handled it great! The girls had a very gentle and caring touch to them. You could see how they absolutely loved the horses and their concern for the flies on her face was so kind.

I put Shy away and brought Thunder out. I told the girls and the parents that Thunder could handle anything-go ahead and do all the petting, kissing and hugging they wanted to do-it was fine with Thunder. So they did! He got his nose kissed, arms wrapped around him tightly, petting and flies got swished off his face.

We went to each pasture and visited each horse. As we went to see "the boys" (7 geldings and one mare in a herd) they were still eating their breakfast hay and didn't pay too much attention to the guests. I went in and one by one brought each horse over to the fence where the girls were standing. Cherokee was the first one to come over on his own. He planted himself in front of the sisters and took advantage of their gentleness and fly swatting. I led Maya over, then Ringo, then Adelantado. The girls wanted to know all of their names!

As we stood there I explained about the breed and The Center and how herd dynamics work . I noticed the horses were beginning to come over to the fence on their own now. They slowly left their hay and formed a circle next to where we stood. One by one they started getting sleepy in the warm sun. Then something really interesting happened. Coyote went inside the circle of horses and laid down! Then Maya went down. It was the first time I've seen her lay down and sleep. Then Cherokee, Augustine next and Adelantado followed. Within a few minutes more than half the herd was laying down. Some of them flat out in a deep sleep. Oscar, Morado and Montego stood, yet they were asleep too.

The family knew that they had witnessed some real quality herd dynamics at work as the horses lay around us sleeping. We all stood there and watched them sleep and rotate positions. What an honor it is to know they trust us enough to do that. The love and good energy these girls gave off to the horses was enough to make me feel like shedding a tear on the spot.

Many minutes went by before the horses started to rouse themselves. They got up and walked back to their hay as we walked back to the familys van. I asked the mom what sort of medical condition her children have. They were very bright, engaging, and funny, although they did have speech challenges. She told me they have a very rare condition called Sanfilippo Syndrome. As we exchanged contact information, I invited them all back anytime they were in Vermont again. And the girls could spend more time with the horses.

All day today I've had my mind on those three wonderful girls who loved my horses. Really loved them, you could tell by the way they stroked their face and looked at them. It was a moving experience for me to see that.

When I got home tonight I googled Sanfilippo Syndrome and learned that many of the children with this do not live past their early twenties. The girls I met today were ages 16 to 22. I also learned that the parents have a foundation to raise money and awareness of this condition. There is no cure, or treatment discovered yet.

When the father left me with a small donation to The Center as they were leaving, I gratefully accepted it. Now that I know more than I did earlier today I wish I could give it back. It's not too late.

Please visit their website: http://www.jlksanfilippofoundation.com

To add a more enriching ending to this story which demonstrates to me how powerful the good energy of these girls were: As I drove away only a few minutes behind my guests, a deer lept over the driveway a safe distance ahead of me. Then seconds later I notice her two baby fawns (with spots still) nibbling grass in the arena! They were totally at ease and I got to watch them for quite awhile. They finally bounced their way back to the woods where they found mama!

3 comments:

  1. My name is Yolanda Ramos, from Wisconsin. I have recently found out about Spanish Mustangs. I have been to rawedgeranch where i am going to buy Ena Morada. Dam:Honey Sire: Dagon's Sulphur Breath.

    I have met Dwayne and Lisa. I get to work with some of their horses. I have worked with Destiny a little, the one dwayne told me you are buying. I have goten a halter on her and she is doing good.
    Yolanda
    Ramos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing about this. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stephanie. I am the Mom to the 3 Sanfilippo girls. I was telling a friend about our incredible experience with your horses and I discovered your blog. Of course, I cried while reading your beautiful words. Your horses are amazing and we all immediately fell in love with them. Since our girls are so different, most people do not "get" them but you did and I can not tell you what that means to me. You were able to see their beauty and feel their love and that makes you a very special person. I have some really good pictures I will send you. Thank you again and again and again, Nancy

    ReplyDelete