Sunday, February 20, 2011

When I think about it, I'm really amazed how many people I have met through the Colonial Spanish horses. Not just met, but lasting relationships that have been formed from our common interest.

Today I had the pleasure of meeting a new volunteer. She helped with morning feeding, watering and loading hay. With temps in the low teens it was much more enjoyable for me to share chore time with a like-minded, horse loving person. I feel so fortunate to have met her and to introduce her to the horses. Tomorrow, she'll return and we'll spend some time playing with the horses. Biggest problem I see is that this woman has a full time job so she won't be able to come during the week!

I am also fortunate to have received a call today from a Johnson State College student who wants to get back into horses. She has natural horsemanship experience which is a real bonus for me so I don't have to re-train her. It can be a humbling experience to go from "normal" to "natural". Meaning... conventional methods and habits of handling horses, and making the switch to natural horsemanship philosophy and techniques. Not everyone sees humility as a good thing.
Each day I spend with horses, I am humbled by their intelligence and power. And there has been more than a few experiences where I've eaten a bit of humble pie! Like when Morado tossed me off while I was riding him bareback in front of a class of 5th graders! Nothing like keeping me right sized!

No comments:

Post a Comment